Are you having a hard time buying an Xbox Series X|S still? It seems stocks for Microsoft’s next-gen console is so scarce, that even official tournaments have to factor that into the equation, too! This weekend the Halo HCS Major Raleigh 2021 has kicked off, and players are using dev kits due to the global shortage for the next-gen console.
This announcement was made by Tashi, Halo Esports and Viewership Lead at Microsoft/343 Industries:
Heads up open bracket players – you'll be playing this weekend on Series X development consoles. They're functionally identical and will be operating in "Retail" mode so it's the exact same experience, they just look a little different.
Why? Global supply chain shortage is real.
— Tashi (@Tashi343i) December 15, 2021
The Verge’s Tom Warren has tweetd out a pic of the dev kit in the wild as well:
For those who want to keep tabs on the tourney, here’s the schedule, as well as the Twitch drops that players can earn from checking the tournament on Twitch.
- Friday (12/17): 12pm ET / 9am PT (other timezones)
- Saturday (12/18): 12pm ET / 9am PT (other timezones)
- Sunday (12/19): 10am ET / 7am PT (other timezones)
- Watch 1 hour on Twitch.tv/Halo on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday to earn the HCS Launch weapon coating bundle for the AR, BR, and Sidekick
- Watch a co-streaming partner for 1 hour on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday to earn the HCS Launch armor coating bundle for the Mark V, Mark VII, and Yoroi cores
- Link your Twitch account on Waypoint here.
- Rewards can only be earned one at a time. Trying to watch multiple streams at once will not work.
- You can check active campaigns and progress here. If a campaign is not active, you’re not earning progress.
Streams to Watch the HCS Major Raleigh 2021:
- Twitch: Halo (Main) | HCS (B) | HCS Red (C) | HCS Blue (D)
- YouTube: Halo (Main) | Halo Esports (B-D)
- Mixer: Halo (Main)
There’s a new event in Halo Infinite called “Winter Contigency” that’s starting this coming Tuesday.
Source: Reddit, Tom Warren, Tashi!