Call of Duty 2018 developer Treyarch Studios is looking to take on a “world-class, industry leading senior cinematics animator.” This individual will “help inspire the team by creating the highest quality cinematic animation while pushing the boundaries of game play, storytelling, and technology.”
With Treyarch (presumably and hopefully) already well into the development of Call of Duty 2018, it’s unclear if the new cinematics animator will be working on the new CoD. Then again, I’m no expert, and perhaps the cinematics animator is needed to tidy thing up and add some polish during the final year.
Here’s what the role involves, and the skills and experience needed:
What you’ll be doing:
- With storytelling as the highest priority, produce high quality cinematic animation using the tools at your disposal.
- Responsible for major story arcs from inception to completion.
- Collaborate with animators, designers, artists and software engineers to identify and address areas of need or concern.
- Contribute to the development of new techniques and processes involved in the creation and implementation of animation.
- Participate in the planning and directing process of motion capture shoots.
- Identify potential areas of risk, create/execute mitigation plans before issues happen, and keep yourself operating at a high level of productivity.
The skills/experience you’ll need:
- 5+ years of experience in game industry
- 3 – 5 titles shipped as a Senior AI Animator
- Great understanding of realistic body mechanics as well as animation principles
- Mentorship skills
- Able to choose cameras and shots to create a specific mood in a scene
- Being aware of and able to contribute to the visual style of the product, including shot choices, pacing, emotion, visual metaphors and visual language
- Understand the visual effect that different lenses will have on a shot
- Understand composition, and be able to work with the Art Department to solve complex visual challenges
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Expert knowledge of Motion Builder 2012+
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Expert knowledge of animation implementation and debugging techniques
- Self-starter and problem solver
- [Previous] animation experience is a plus
We haven’t heard much about Call of Duty 2018. Here’s hoping that changes soon!
In other Call of Duty news, the WWII emblem gallery and paint jobs are set to roll out with the Resistance event, Activision is apparently sending out free WWII codes via email, and a new Division and weapons are coming to WWII.