While players can change the skin of their Ghost companion in Destiny 2, Bungie has announced that Destiny 2 Ghost changes are coming! Desginer Mina Jasinski gave an overview in what sort of updates players can expect from their Ghosts once the Beyond Light expansion hits.
To allow Ghosts to truly shine as the useful and interesting companions we’d like them to be, we decided it was time to give them a bit of an overhaul.In Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Ghosts have received a system update which shares some functionality to what was done with armor in Shadowkeep. Here’s a brief outline of what to expect:
- Ghost Shells will now have energy levels and access to mods with various energy costs instead of being pre-loaded with specific perks.
- This treatment has been applied to all Ghosts outside of the Generalist Shell, so you can use your favorite Ghost Shells, regardless of tier.
- A selection of mods will be available on all Ghost Shells by default, while the remaining ones will be obtainable via various gameplay sources. Information on where to find these mods can be learned from Collections.
- Ghost mods will be obtained from gameplay reward loops and will not be purchasable from Eververse.
- Ghosts now have four mod slots. Three are unlocked by default, and the fourth is unlocked by Masterworking the Ghost Shell.
Bungie adds that they intend to separate visuals from functionality, which means that in the future, you’ll be able to select your favorite Ghost Shell based on appearance without needing to worry about how it will affect your gameplay experience.
As for perks and mod slots, here’s what Bungie has in mind:
As mentioned above, Ghosts will now have access to a total of four mod slots, each with their own unique mod selection. There will be an Experience mod slot, a Tracking mod slot, an Economic mod slot, and an Activity mod slot; the last of which is unlocked when the Ghost is Masterworked at 10 energy. You’ll be able to mix and match mods from these categories however you like, with respect to energy limits. Mod slots each have a selection of mods that can be combined to fit your playstyle. For example, a Crucible-focused player who wants to grind out materials and earn XP towards their Seasonal rewards track might choose Guiding Light, Meager Glimmer Booster, and Lesser Core Harvest (Crucible). There are a variety of combinations that can be set up on different Ghosts to suit whatever goals you might be chasing at the time!
For those wondering what will happen to the old Ghost perks, most have been brought forward largely unchanged as default unlocked mods. In some cases, such as the destination-specific material or cache trackers, those mods have been transformed into globally effective, non-destination-specific versions of themselves for better utility. Energy costs for those mods now reflect the increased flexibility and the mods must be earned from various vendor engrams. Kill Tracker and Leviathan Boss Kill perks will remain intrinsic only on their specific Ghost Shells. Even with these changes you’ll still be able to build most of the popular Exotic perk combinations that were available previously such as Guiding Light and Treasure Hunter, along with a plethora of new combinations!
- 8:00 AM PDT (1500 UTC): Destiny 2 will undergo maintenance for Hotfix 220.127.116.11. Xbox players may not be able to view or access recently purchased DLC content until after maintenance is completed.
- 8:45 AM PDT (1545 UTC): Destiny 2 will be brought offline for expected maintenance. Players will be removed from activities and won’t be able to log back into Destiny 2 until 10 AM PDT.
- 10:00 AM PDT (1700 UTC): Destiny 2 Hotfix 18.104.22.168 will be available across all platforms and regions. Players will be able to log back into Destiny 2.
- 11:00 AM PDT (1800 UTC): Destiny 2 maintenance is expected to conclude.
Once we know details regarding next week’s patch, we’ll let our readers know.