Six years ago, PUBG: Battlegrounds came roaring into a world dominated by FPS IPs, and changed the online shooter scene forever. To celebrate the game’s sixth anniversary, PUBG Studios and Krafton have released PUBG lifetime stats in an infographic, revealing that the massively popular game has sold 75 million units and accrued 16.3 billion hours of gameplay with over 150.7 million players in 242 countries.
- Related Reading: The Callisto Protocol DLC “Contagion Bundle” DLC Out This March 14
Check out the infographic below:
PUBG: Battlegrounds (previously PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds) was perhaps the biggest market disruptor of the FPS-dominated 2010s, turning the industry’s attention towards the lucrative battle royale gameplay format. Together, PUBG and Fortnite (which received a Battle Royale mode shortly after PUBG’s debut) arguably revolutionized online shooter games, with even Call of Duty later incorporating battle royale gameplay in the form of Warzone.
In the six years since it debuted through Steam Early Access on March 23, 2017, PUBG has:
- reached 75 million units sold across PC and console platforms
- been played in 242 countries
- acquired a 150.7 million-strong playerbase
- collaborated with 20 IPs, including Assassin’s Creed, McLaren, and the Nier series
- reached a 3.25 million concurrent player count peak on Steam
- remained one of the most-played and top-selling IPs on the platform for six years
Mighty impressive, that!
In other news, PUBG Update 22.2 shot out on consoles today after its PC release last week with a new AUG skin, a BLACKPINK collaboration, and much more. Check out the full patch notes for the update here.