Larian Studios has revealed that Baldur’s Gate 3 PC release date has been bumped up by almost a month, and the game will now launch on August 3, ahead of its original August 31 launch date. The PS5 version has been delayed to September 6.
- Related Reading: Baldur’s Gate 3 Second Antagonist Lord Enver Gortash Revealed, Played by Jason Isaacs
Director of Publishing Michael Douse had this to say about the announcement:
Reaching a technical bar that matches our design ambitions felt like the right move, while holding back the PC version when we knew we’d be ready felt like the wrong move in such a busy launch period.
Moreover, Larian has also unveiled more details about the content of Baldur’s Gate 3, including which D&D races and classes will appear in the game, new playable characters, companions, and character customization options.
Baldur’s Gate 3 – Features:
- More dialogue than three times all three Lord of the Rings books combined, the script for Baldur’s Gate 3 contains over 2 million words
- Over 170 hours of cinematics, twice the length of every season of Game of Thrones combined
- Seven playable protagonists, each with their own rich stories, personalities, desires, and objectives, as well as a best-in-class character creation system for custom characters
- Play as one of 11 playable races and 31 subraces, with multiple body types
- 12 classes and 46 subclasses, compared to Divinity: Original Sin 2’s 10 “schools of spells”
- Over 600 spells and actions (excluding upcasts), compared to Divinity: Original Sin 2’s 225 player spells and actions
CEO and Creative Director Swen Vincke praised the features in a statement:
We set out to make a game that would reward player creativity and truly bring D&D to life in a cinematic way that explores the breadth and depth RPGs can offer. Baldur’s Gate 3 has become an astronomical game that never fails to surprise, and I’m super proud of the team. We couldn’t have done this without our early access community, but it’s crazy to think that all this time they experienced less than a quarter of what BG3 has to offer. I cannot wait to hear the stories our players will tell when the full game releases. It’s time to gather your party!
Again, Baldur’s Gate 3 PC release date is now set for August 3, 2023, with a PS5 release following on September 6. An Xbox version of the title has not been announced as of yet due to split-screen co-op issues.