I’d like to emphasize that expansion maps will only be available as part of the active Campaign, which change every two weeks as the Operations rotate. (See developer’s comments below for the full details and conditions.)
In what is a surprising move, but definitely appreciated, lead gameplay designer Alex Sulman has announced that Battlefield 1 will receive more free DLC. Previously only available to Premium Pass owners, all players will now be able to experience the game’s new maps via the Operations mode.
Sulman explained the thinking, and specific conditions, behind the free content:
Starting with“Fire & Ice”, Operation Campaigns will be open to all players, always, regardless of the Operations contained. Yes, that means if you have only the base version of Battlefield 1 you will still be able to play Operations that are part of expansions you do not own. Please note the following:
• These maps are only accessible in the Operations mode
• You will not have the weapons, vehicles, or Elites that exist in the corresponding expansions / maps
• You will only be able to access the Operations that are part of the active Campaign i.e. they will change every two weeks as the Operations rotate
Our goal here is to ensure the best chance at the most populated servers we can. We feel opening up the content to all players is the best way to do this. Of course the most complete way to experience this content remains via the Premium Pass which ensures you can play with all of the toys on all of the maps whenever you want.
Sulman also discussed some of the new general changes made to the Operations mode, and what the team is currently looking into:
With regards to other changes, we have reduced the total amount of points required per Operation from 30,000 to 25,000 to help reduce the time investment required and increase the chance at completing an Operation in one go. We will be monitoring this change closely to see if this new score sits at a more appropriate level.
Finally, there are a number of other issues we have heard feedback on that we are investigating solutions for. Some of these are already in the works, but due to the Holiday break, were not quite ready to hit the “Fire & Ice” release. These include:
• Getting close to the score total but not reaching it, so forcing another full Operation just to collect the small remaining score
• The current chance to get a puzzle piece not feeling worth the time investment
• The variety of skins being too familiar and not Operation Campaign specific
These issues are hot on our list and we hope to have news on potential solutions soon.
This should make Battlefield 1 players pretty happy. Newcomers have some new content to play, and veterans will see more populated servers. Good stuff!
- PUBG Loot Box Odds Are Ridiculous, Average of 80 Years to Earn Rarest Items
- Bungie Confirms Destiny 2 Crimson Days Event Is Coming, but It “Won’t Be the Same As Last Time”
- Overwatch Update Adds OWL Skins, New Microtransaction Currency, Bug Fixes & More