It’s already know that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will offer crossplay, which is a first for the franchise. If you’re one of the many people who have a lot of questions (and concerns) about it, Activision is here to clear the air a bit. The publisher has posted a new post detailing the Modern Warfare crossplay details and should answer everything you need to know about it.
1. You can Opt in, or Opt out:
In Modern Warfare, players can choose to enable crossplay, allowing players to play with friends on all three supported platforms, so the game offers an opt-in choice.
2. A COD Account is Needed:
Remember, you will need a COD Account to play Modern Warfare, if you don’t have one already you can create one here.
3. Matchmaking and Balancing:
In Modern Warfare, crossplay has been designed to factor play balancing across differences in controller type. No one should feel an unfair advantage. Plus, players have choices on which control device they wish to use on any platform. Here are some examples you may experience:
· You can decide to use keyboard and mouse on PlayStation® 4 or Xbox One.
· You can decide to use a controller on PC.
· PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC players can all play against each other, provided they all utilize controllers, or all utilize KBM (a keyboard and mouse).
· You can place into a lobby where there are no control scheme filters, allowing you to play with players using both controllers and/or KBM across up to all three supported platforms.
Plus, with the addition of crossplay, we anticipate that players should look forward to even shorter lobby wait times.
4. Adding your Friends and Gathering Parties:
Using your COD Account, you are able to create cross-platform Friends lists and Parties from all three supported platforms. This unites the community by removing barriers, creating platform-agnostic friend groups. Are you a PS4 player with friends on Xbox One and PC, for example? Now you can organize parties and jump into matches with your friends, easily and quickly regardless of platform!
5. Crossplay Applicable Modes:
Crossplay supports all multiplayer modes in Modern Warfare. There are no plans currently to support Ranked Play or competitive tournaments.
Also of note, the Modern Warfare beta will start again this Thursday and will include crossplay so players can test it out for themselves.
For more on Modern Warfare, make sure to check out our Modern Warfare game hub.