Remember last month when we reported that Epic Games is suing Fortnite Battle Royale cheaters? It seems the studio is making good on its word, though there seems to be a minor (get it?) hiccup in one of the cases it’s mounting. It has just been revealed that one of the players being taken to court is a 14-year old!
The mother of the 14-year old has responded to the lawsuit filed by Epic Games and points out a few important things like how the cheating translated to financial loss for the company given Fortnite Battle Royale is a free-to-play game, and more. Here’s a summary of the mother’s concerns (via GigamaxGames)
- Her first point is that Fortnite’s terms require parental consent for minors, which she says was never given.
- She also argues that Epic’s case is based on loss of profits, but argues that the game is free-to-play, in order for the company to prove a loss they would need to release a statement that showed how the cheating directly caused a “mass profit loss”.
- Another valid argument is that by attacking the player rather than the websites that sell/provide the cheating software, Epic has ultimately made a scapegoat out of a 14 year old.
- Epic also alleged that her son helped create the software used to cheat, which she claims is not the case, he simply downloaded the program as a user.
- Her final point goes on to say that when Epic released her son’s name publicly with the suit that the company violated Delaware laws that deal with revealing information on minors.
TorrentFreak managed to get the mother’s letter, which you can read below. Important to note that a minor cannot be sued directly, which means there’s a chance Epic did not know of the 14-year old’s identity at the time.
The mother makes a case that Epic shouldn’t be suing them, but rather, the companies that offer the cheating software instead, and wants the case thrown out.
What do you make of this? Is Epic overreacting? Should the company just ban the 14-year old from playing, or should they continue the lawsuit just to make sure others don’t follow suit?