They may not be getting Halo 4, but fans on Windows-powered devices can look forward to a top-down action shooter set in the Halo universe, exclusively for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.
Available this July for $6.99 USD, Halo: Spartan Ops will provide an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike, developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Vanguard Games.
The game is set between the events of Halo 3 and Halo 4 as you fill the role either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis stationed aboard the UNCSC Infinity, taking part in the first missions of the Spartan Ops program. As you play, you’ll dive even deeper into the backstory of Human-Covenant wars.
[youtube id=”BxsYQtltOco” width=”618″ height=”378″]
Check out some of the key features below:
- Original “Halo” gameplay. An action-packed, single-player campaign spanning 25 missions in battles never before experienced in the Halo Universe, all played from a top-down camera view
- New and immersive storyline. An original story set between the events of “Halo 3” and “Halo 4,” experience a new war with the Covenant, the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer, all with best-in-class graphics and audio
- Built for simplicity. A unique fusion of touch and consolelike controls for easy pick-up-and-play gaming, with the added flexibility of keyboard and mouse controls on Windows 8 PCs and tablets2
- Integration with “Halo 4.” Earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and unlock emblems for your “Halo 4” Spartan career, with additional integration features available after launch
- Nonstop competitive fun. Compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills against an onslaught of Weekly Challenges while collecting more than 40 in-game Achievements and Medals
- In-app purchases. Grind to earn upgrades or speed up your training by purchasing credits for boosts, unique weapons or armor abilities
- Only on Windows. Available only on Windows 8 PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices.
In addition, 343 Industries has teamed up with Dark Horse Comics to create “Halo: Initiation,” a 3-part comic series which reveals Commander Sarah Palmer’s back story and how she became a Spartan-IV. It also leads directly into the missions of Halo: Spartan Assault.