As of today, Double Helix, the developer behind the revival of the Killer Instinct franchise on the Xbox One, is going to be shaking up the free-to-play version alongside releasing a new patch.
Once downloaded, those who haven’t purchased any characters, nor any ‘editions’ of the title, will be able to play as Sabrewulf at no charge. However, this does mean that Jago will now have to be purchased separately if you want to be able to play as him again.
Additionally, Double Helix has also released the patch notes for the update that went live yesterday. You can view them below:
January 2 Killer Instinct Patch Notes
- FULL CONTROLLER SUPPORT: Players will now have access to play regardless of what USB port they plug into.
- SAVE DATA FIXES: Sign-in changes via KINECT will no longer erase save-data
- TOASTS OPTION AVAILABLE: Players will be able to disable toasts from the option menu (under display options)
Killer Instinct Store Updates
- COLOR #5 PROPERLY UNLOCKS NOTE: Players who have accomplished these tasks prior to launch will now be awarded retroactively
- TRAINING MODE ICON UNLOCKED NOTE: If you have completed all the tasks required to unlock the costume, the TRAINING ICON will retroactively be unlocked.
- Character Select option added to the pause screen of local versus
- Command List corrected and updated
- Game will now pause when the controller for player 2 is removed
- Accessory menu screens updated and patched
- Added access to the MELD from the pause screen
- Replays library will be cleared since executable has been updated to a new version number
- Jago’s equipped accessories now display properly while in dojo mode.
- VIEWABLE LEADERBOARDS: Privilege check has been moved into the Xbox Live menu so non-gold members can view leaderboards
- PARTY INVITES FIXES: General fixes have been implemented to ensure the proper user-flow for people wanting to play exhibition matches with friends.
- RANK-UP/RANK-DOWN DISPLAY: RANK events (Rank-up/Rank-down), display notifications to both players prior to the start of the match.
- INSTINCT MODE SHADOW COMBOS NOW BREAKABLE: There were several instances where SHADOW MOVES we’re un-breakable after performing an instinct.-mode cancel With the current fix, SHADOW MOVES will be fully intractable after an instinct-mode cancel.
- UNBLOCKABLE FIX: Players can now adjust block height during instinct mode activation.
- COMBO ENDER FIX : There were several instances where certain moves labeled as “ENDERS” where unbreakable .
Character Specific Changes
- Jago’s Endokuken is now classified as an OPENER, when used in the beginning of combos.
- Shadow Eclipse now scales properly if used as an OPENER.
- LEVEL-3 eclipse ENDER has been corrected to hit the opponent after performing a JUMPING SLASH
- Category correction for the first (2) hits of ICHI NI SAN.
- Damage scaling correction on UPPER FIRECAT
- Shadow Hail will now have the same hit properties as an OPENER.
- HP /Shadow version of Widow’s bite is now categorized as OPENER.
Via, Double Helix Forums