A new Nintendo Switch system update is rolling out across all devices. It will be downloaded automatically. Once installed, update 4.0.1 will implement general system stability fixes that are designed to “enhance the user’s experience.”
The major fix is a change to the HDMI connection process specification, which should address video and sound output issues with some TV models.
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.1 (Distributed 10/25/2017)
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Changed the HDMI connection process specification to match that of version 3.0.2 to address video and sound output issues with some TV models.
While it’s cool to see Nintendo making some smaller fixes, this update certainly isn’t as exciting as previous patch 4.0.0. If you missed the patch notes for that, then prepare yourself for a whirlwind of changes and improvements!
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0 (Distributed 10/18/2017)
Added the following system functionality
- Capture video on select games
- To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
- Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
- As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
- Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Transfer user and save data to another system
- To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data
- Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
- A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
- This feature will be supported by future game releases
- News channel updates
- The news feed has been updated with a new look.
- Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel’s content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
- Match software version with a group of local users
- To create a group, head to the software’s Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
- Everyone’s software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
- All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
- The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router’s settings.
The Nintendo Switch has been getting a lot of love recently!
In other Nintendo news, a spooktacular eShop sale for the UK has been released for this Halloween, the OJO projector has hit Indiegogo, and here’s 13 minutes of Super Mario Odyssey co-op gameplay.
Source: Nintendo Support