Sony has released PS4 update 8.01 just now and it’s a small download at just 470MB. This seems to be a mandatory download, as gamers have reported that it won’t let them connect online without downloading the update.
- Related Reading: New PS5 Update 20.02-02.25.00 November 17 Released
PS4 Update 8.01 Patch Notes:
According to the console itself the update includes:
Main features in version 8.01 update
- This system software update improves system peformance.
That’s basically it. Given the PS5 is out, and will soon be released worldwide, I wouldn’t expect any major additions to the PS4’s system features.
Unfortunately, multiple gamers have reported on the PS4 subreddit that this latest firmware update has caused issues for them. Some have cited that their console won’t turn on after the update, and some have reported that the system patch won’t even install!
For me personally, I’ve downloaded and installed the new update without any issues — at least so far.
We’re keeping a close eye out and monitoring the situation and will update the post if new developments arise.
For those who downloaded it, is it working normally for you or has this new PS4 firmware update caused problems for your console? Let us know down below in the comments.
More PlayStation Reading:
- Sony: Transition From PS4 to PS5 Will Take About 3 Years, Development on PS4 “Necessary”
- Sony Direct PS5 Pre-Orders Come With a PSN “Special Gift”
- PS5 Simulator Game Made for Those Who Can’t Wait for the Real Thing