Only two weeks from launch, Naughty Dog has kept absolute silence on the matter of the multiplayer portion for The Last of Us, promising that they would show us more real soon.
As fate would have it though, the recent demo released for the game this past Friday was cracked and inside it contained some rather juicy information.
It’s important to keep note that these leaks aren’t 100% confirmed, though the recent trophy list posted by IGN had a trophy titled “Populace”, which requires a player to build a clan of 40 members, supplying some credibility to the leaked info.
The leak was extracted from the recently released demo of The Last of Us. It’s a pretty long list of content, and for those who wish to see it, you can do so by clicking here. Otherwise, Gamespot forum member Tonitorsi posted a good summary of the information.
“SURVIVE 12 WEEKS“
“A small group of Infected have been spotted heading in our direction. Improve the training of the clan to fight off the Infected and attract new members.”
“You gained [A] clan members by fighting off the Infected attack.”
“You were able to partially improve the training of your clan. You gained some clan members by fighting off the attack.
“You were able to dramatically improve the training of your clan before the Infected attacked. As a result, you gained the maximum new clan members. Marauders have been raiding camps in the area. Improve the training of the group to fight off the Marauders and attract new members.”
Overall Summary of the Multiplayer Leak:
- New feature called “Clans”
- The clan-based system and recruiting is essential to survive hordes of infected (possibly AI or player based clans)
- Possibly free-roam / Big open maps
- You can Craft weapons / Items in Multiplayer from all the supplies you gather
- The Multiplayer has certain random events (sort of like RDR) that happen in your playthrough. Some of which can threaten or help your clan
- The Multiplayer has mini-missions structured for you like surviving a certain amount of time, etc
- You can train Clan members (in what way, its still not clear)
- Depending on how well you train your clan members, you can do rescue missions to free hostages taken during the outbreak
- You’ll need to gather supplies to survive (your clan can gather supplies too to be well equipped)
- You can aquire medicines / antibiotics from looting dead bodies throughout your playthrough
- You have 3 matches to complete a Mission (how this works its still unclear)
- Uncharted 3-like, Loadouts makes a comback
- Character Customization possibly back too list of usable items for crafting/weapons for MP (This is a bit Spoiler-ish, so be carefull)
- Crouching makes you more accurate by reducing weapon sway
- Mission performance determines how many people you gain or lose
- Mission performance also determines how many One-Use Boosters you earn
- You can spawn next to your teammates
- Boosters are back from UC3, but completeely redesigned and works in a colossaly different way (non-spammable and some are one-time use)
- There might be certain parts of the maps that are contaminated with viruses, you’ll need to search/loot for masks or risk getting infected
- Your teammates / Clan members can get infected
Seems very familiar with the Arma II Zombie mod, DayZ, minus most of the realism, of course. It’ll be interesting if this will be able to emulate the same success as it, since we aren’t typically use to having multiplayer games function as this. So, what do you guys think?