In just a few short days, we’ll be able to experience Treyarch’s take on battle royale with the Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout beta! As part of the upcoming event, Activision has released what it calls the “Black Ops 4 Blackout Beta Field Manual” or what I call it: the Black Ops 4 battle royale beta info cheat sheet.
The Black Ops 4 Blackout beta will officially start this coming Monday, September 10 (even though you can download the update to the multiplayer beta client right now), with the beta going live at 10 a.m. PST. Bear in mind that this is for PS4. Xbox will have to wait a few days later on September 14, while PC players will need to wait until September 15 to get their Blackout game on. All three platforms’ beta end date is set for September 17, 10 a.m. PST.
The Blackout beta will feature three ways to play: Solos, Duos, and Quads.
You’ll be in the level before the game officially starts. The pre-game lobby is called the Drop Zone, and here you can lear the map, try out weapons, get a better grasp of the gameplay mechanics and more.
Same as with other battle royale games, Blackout will have you ride the skies in a transport helicopter where you can choose when to jump. Your character will wear a wingsuit during this drop process. More info regarding it:
You can point in the general direction, but for extra speed and distance, fall straight toward down for maximum speed. Since you are using a Wingsuit you are effectively a wing. The more airflow over that wing; the better you can fly. Let it soar…
When you get close to the ground, your parachute will automatically deploy. Use it to slow your momentum. All the information you need to become a wingsuit master is indicated in the game HUD. You can monitor your overall momentum and see where the parachute will deploy as you approach the ground.
While we already listed the vehicles, here’s the list again.
The Blackout Beta features four vehicles for additional mobility in game:
- ATV – Holds a max of two people and has off-roading capability with medium speed.
- Cargo Truck – One driver with room for others in the truck bed. It has limited off-roading capability and limited speed. Use the Cargo Truck to store weapons and other Items for your late game push to victory.
- Tactical Raft – This boat fits two comfortably but can pack in quite a few if you don’t mind getting cozy. The raft is a great way to navigate the abundant water in Blackout.
- Light Helicopter – a Helicopter that holds a max of four passengers and the pilot. This aircraft will start to malfunction in the late states of the game and is very susceptible to lock-on Missile Launchers, but is by far the fastest way to get from point A to point B.
Regarding loadouts, most of the items in Blackout need to be equipped.
By default, you can equip these items without any cost to your 5 Inventory slots:
- 2 Weapons
- 1 Health Item
- 1 Armor Item
- 1 Backpack
- Equipment Item
- About 200 of each Ammo type.
Loads — and I mean LOADS– more info can be read directly on the official Call of Duty website. Inventory, health management, and more are discussed.