Both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One received system updates in the past few days, but what were they all about?
The updates made their way to the new consoles yesterday, December 10, and should both be available to download as of this writing. Check out the details below.
PlayStation 4 System Update 1.52
According to PlayStation’s official Twitter handle, the PlayStation 4 system update 1.52 is now live and primarily focuses on improving stability. No detailed patch notes were made available.
Sony reminds users that they can enable Auto Downloads and leave their console in standby mode to receive updates automatically.
Xbox One System Update
As Larry “Major Nelsion” Hyrb writes in his latest blog update, there are two ways you can download the latest system update that went live yesterday, Tuesday, December 10.
If you are not using the Xbox One’s “Instant On” feature, you will be required to download and install the update after Thursday, December 12 at 2am PST.
If you are using Xbox One’s “Instant On” feature, the following will happen:
- “Your console will automatically download the update after you turn it off. Once the update has been downloaded in the background, your console will power completely down. Please note: You will need to manually power your console back on after the update has been downloaded. Because the update will power your console completely down, the “Xbox On” voice command won’t be available until after the update is fully installed.”
- “When you turn the console on you’ll see the update being applied. After that, your Xbox One will reboot. You’ll know the update is installing when you see the Xbox logo on the green background (like at the top of this post.) This can take anywhere from 2-5 minutes. Once the update has finished installing, you’ll boot to the Home screen and you’re all set.”
- “Don’t worry, if you are out of town for the holidays, you console also does regular checks for updates and will download it in the background even if you have not used you Xbox One in a couple of days.”
Here are the official update notes:
- Addresses SmartGlass issues for some users when coming in and out of connected standby
- Addresses multiplayer issues for some users when re-joining games
- Addresses issues with inconsistent notifications for some users
- Addresses dashboard performance for some users
- Offers improvements for Xbox One’s TV, system update, and content update services for scaling over time
- Updated wireless networking driver to improve connectivity issues for some users
Have you had any issues downloading either the Xbox One or PlayStation 4 system updates? Notice any improvements?