For those playing Star Wars Battlefront II, we’re here to report on some good news! Developer DICE has hunkered down and laid down some of the new content and events coming your way this month!
There’s a lot of stuff incoming for Battlefront II fans this October, and we have every detail you need! First up is a Battle Point Event: Heroes Unleashed community event with Heroes in Galactic Assault set at 75 percent off their normal cost, and eight heroes per side available at any given time! Of course, this month being October, there’s a Halloween-themed event coming too! Called “Night Mode,” this event will feature night-only maps from Friday October 26-31! Check out the complete Star Wars Battlefront 2 October roadmap below!
DICE isn’t stopping there. Battlefront II’s Star Card is also getting changes too. According to DICE, the overall plan is to replace the selection of Hero Star Cards that aren’t used a lot to be replaced with Health Star Cards. These will be broken up into two types of cards:
A generic “Health on Defeat” Star Card
- This type of card is for Boba Fett, Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Kylo Ren and Darth Maul. When a hero defeats an enemy, they will regain a small portion of health.
A “Defeat with Ability” card
- This type of card is for Chewbacca, Yoda, Finn and Captain Phasma. When using one of these Star Cards, health will only be awarded if a specific ability was used to defeat the enemy.
DICE is also adding new Cards to Battlefront II that will make heroes “more fun and engaging to play.” Check out the complete breakdown of changes and additions below (via Reddit):
Health on Defeat Star Cards
These cards award health when a hero has one equipped and defeats an enemy.
We’re excited to see what Boba Fett can do in the hands of a skilled player once these changes are live. We will be modifying his “For the Hunt” ability to reveal enemy players to both Boba Fett and his teammates by default, without the need for a Star Card. This change would make the Information Sharing Star Card redundant and a good candidate to be changed into a health card.
- Old Card: Information Sharing
- Old Description: For the Hunt will reveal enemies to your allies for a part of its duration.
- New Card: Bounty Claimed
- New Description: Whenever Boba Fett defeats an enemy trooper, he regains twenty health. Whenever he defeats an enemy hero, he regains even more.
We know from our in-game telemetry that Han Solo’s “Head Games” Star Card is very rarely used by players. We believe this is because it has a difficult trigger and not much benefit. We know from community feedback that this Star Card is a good candidate to be reworked into a health card.
- Old Card: Head Games
- Old Description: Scoring three headshot hits in a row without hitting any other body part will reset a part of all Han Solo’s abilities recharge time.
- New Card: A Good Blaster
- New Description: Whenever Han Solo defeats an enemy trooper, he regains 20 health. Whenever he defeats an enemy hero, he regains even more.
We feel that “Overheat” is not as important for Heroes as it is for Troopers because all Hero weapons cooldown very quickly. As a result of this, the benefit of Lando’s “In the Zone” Star Card is negligible, making it a great candidate to become a health card.
- Old Card: In the Zone
- Old Description: Disabled overheat lasts longer when perfectly cooling the X-8 Night Sniper blaster.
- New Card: Easy Wins
- New Description: Whenever Lando Calrissian defeats an enemy trooper, he regains 20 health. Whenever he defeats an enemy hero, he regains even more.
We’ve identified Kylo Ren’s “Bloodletting Frenzy” Star Card to be the one that will be reworked into a health on defeat card. We know that health does decrease quickly, and this has an effect on Hero based game modes and Galactic Assault.
In hero-based game modes, players rarely survive long once they reach below 25%, while in Galactic Assault players would find themselves retreating.
- Old Card: Bloodletting Frenzy
- Old Description: While Kylo Ren’s health is below 25% he will deal bonus damage with his lightsaber.
- New Card: Frenzied
- New Description: Whenever Kylo Ren defeats an enemy trooper, he regains 20 health. Whenever he defeats an enemy hero, he regains even more.
Darth Maul does not have stamina and because of this, the “Frantic Strikes” Star Card has very little use. We know this is a card that does get brought up quite often by the community, so we feel it’s the perfect candidate to be changed into a health on defeat card.
- Old Card: Frantic Strikes
- Old Description: Melee strikes will drain less stamina.
- New Card: Wrathful
- New Description: Whenever Darth Maul defeats an enemy trooper, he regains 20 health. Whenever he defeats an enemy hero, he regains even more.
Defeat with Ability Star Cards
These Star Cards reward health when an enemy is defeated by using a specific ability.
Chewbacca’s melee attacks are already very powerful so, Chewbacca’s “Wookiee Berserker” card is rarely used because of this, even more so due to the fact he can slam the ground.
Chewbacca’s high health is why we decided to connect his health regeneration with defeating an enemy by using a specific ability.
- Old Card: Wookiee Berserker
- Old Description: Chewbacca’s melee attacks are stronger and deal more damage.
- New Card: Ground Breaking
- New Description: Whenever an enemy trooper is defeated by CHARGE SLAM, Chewbacca regenerates 20 health. If it was an enemy hero, he regains even more.
“Master of the Force” is a Star Card that is very rarely used since Yoda loses the unleash power build up very quickly. This card also has a very high difficulty curve, making it one of the least used cards available to Yoda.
Since Yoda has a health boost ability, we have made the decision to connect his health regeneration with the ability “Unleash.”
- Old Card: Master of the Force
- Old Description: When the UNLEASH radius is at maximum distance, unleashing it will deal bonus damage.
- New Card: Release the Force
- New Description: Whenever Yoda defeats an enemy trooper using UNLEASH, he regains 20 health. Whenever he defeats an enemy hero, he regains even more.
When looking at the Star Cards for Finn, we identified the “All Together” card as one that is considered weaker than his others, and is rarely used by the community. Finn’s health boost ability is the reason why he receives a Defeat with Ability Star Card.
- Old Card: All Together
- Old Description: The radius of UNDERCOVER TEAM is increased if two friendlies are affected.
- New Card: Covert Leader
- New Description: Whenever Finn defeats an enemy trooper while UNDERCOVER TEAM is active, he regains 20 health. Whenever he defeats an enemy hero, he regains even more.
We have identified Captain Phasma’s Star Card, “Only Pawns,” as the optimal candidate to be replaced. We have found that recharge rates are often difficult to convey towards players and, it makes for the perfect choice.
The new Star Card will continue with the “Staff Strikes” themes, making it much more beneficial within Galactic Assault.
As with the other heroes in this category, Captain Phasma’s health boost ability is why she receives health regeneration connect to an ability.
- Old Card: Only Pawns
- Old Description: For every enemy Captain Phasma defeats with STAFF STRIKES its recharge rate will be increased for five seconds.
- New Card: Beat Down
- New Description: Whenever Captain Phasma defeats an enemy trooper with her STAFF STRIKES, she regains 20 health. Whenever she defeats an enemy hero, she regains even more.
Finally, DICE has also laid out a quick FAQ for the Star Cards being changed.
Star Cards Changes FAQ:
Q) If I already own one of the Star Cards that are being changed, what will happen?
A) If you already own one of the Star Cards that are changing, it will automatically change into the new card.
Q) If I have leveled up a Star Card, what happens if it changes?
A) The Star Card will retain its level, despite changing over to its new version.
Q) How did you choose which Star Cards to modify?
A) We used in-game telemetry which told us which Star Cards were not being used. We also utilized community feedback.
Q) Are you going to be making any more changes?
A) We will be monitoring the game and community feedback once these changes go live. We will continue to tweak and balance through further updates to the game.
These changes are currently scheduled to arrive within the General Grievous update and as always, we’re looking forward to hearing what you think.
Whew! That’s a lot, right? Once this update is out, we’ll be sure to let our readers know.