It seems our guess as to what this week’s “good stuff” in Battlefield 5 is correct! DICE has today announced the Battlefield 5 Operation Underground release date, and it’s set for October 3! For those unaware, Operation Underground is the re-imagined version of fan-favorite map Operation Metro.
Check out the Battlefield 5 Operation Underground gameplay trailer below!
Drawing inspiration from the Operation Métro map featured in Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4: Second Assault, Operation Underground is a true passion project in level design. Featuring intense close-quarter combat, the map takes place in a war-torn German city environment across diverse play areas including urban streets and courtyards, and within the narrow tunnels of the German underground railway, passenger and supply trains. The trains are halted when artillery fire ruptures the ground above, causing both sides to navigate through the confined space to reach the other side.
Here’s the map breakdown and capture points straight from DICE:
Operation Underground at a Glance
- Infantry Only
- Fast and Chaotic
Key Areas and Conquest Capture Points
You’ll experience fast and dynamic firefights in a train station, on city streets, and on an open plaza when playing the objective on Operation Underground. Below, we’ve detailed these three main areas.
Capture Point A: Crossroads
This point is all about city streets and courtyards with plenty of enterable buildings with several floors. The area was an important hub for the city’s military activity, which is why it was bombed by the Allies before the attack.
Capture Point B: Train Station
The train station served as both a shelter and a crucial part of the supply line in and out of the city. Down here, German soldiers are still lingering and must be defeated before the Allies can claim the city is free of enemies. The area will be familiar to fans of Operation Metro-style gameplay – but with more flanking routes! Prepare for occasional floods, opening and closing access to handy shortcuts.
Capture Point C: Plaza
This is the command center of the city’s German operation. The plaza is a more open area with a big accessible town hall in the center. Converted to a military command center that pulls the strings of the German defense of the city, the town hall has limited access to higher floors, but many rooms on the first floor.
Tips for Success on Operation Underground
- Teamwork is key for getting results – more so than on most maps. Communicate, coordinate, and share resources. Securing a win here really proves your team effort.
- Look for Fortification opportunities to secure ammo, cover, and flow changers, and learn how to best use them as attacker and defender. Be aware that some Fortifications become available as the match proceeds.
- Are you a skilled diver willing to take a risk? You may very well find a beneficial flank on the map. Take the plunge and set up a surprise attack on your enemies.
- If you reach a good position through difficult flanks, it may be worth waiting for your squad to spawn in on you before revealing yourself. This way, you’ll double down on the effect and reward.
- The map sectors have pros and cons for different weapon setups. Some locations provide more long-range opportunities, while others are quite the opposite. Look over and tweak your Company loadouts to tackle all scenarios and be effective at each sector.
The minimap datamine leak seems to be accurate too, as game modes available will be: Breakthrough, Conquest, Squad Conquest and Team Deathmatch.
Don’t forget to check out today’s patch that dropped, which doesn’t add anything new, but rolls out fixes.