Looking forward to new factions in Battlefield 5? It seems DICE has sneakily slotted in the Battlefield 5 US faction, and the Japan faction in its latest patch.
Thanks to Battlefield dataminer temporyal, we get to see evidence of this, plus pictures of unreleased gadgets, news on being a Battlefield 5 Firestorm respawn feature and more!
US and Japanese factions arrived (secretly)
DICE took first steps towards individual factions for the Pacific and implemented the US and Japanese as seperated parts in the company. Take a look at this image to understand what happened behind the curtain:
Before the patch we had just Allies and Axis depicting UK and Germany. These parts were internally renamed to “Allies – UK” and “Axis – Germany”. Though not visible DICE additionally added “Allies – US Pacific” and “Axis – Japan” next to the existing factions.
Note: The faction titles in the second part of the image were done by myself because the internal names (“Allies – US Pacific”,…) are just too long. We’ll see what DICE is going to choose in Tides of War Chapter 5.
- We’ll probably get separate soldiers / loadout options for the new factions (not surprising but quite a few feared that DICE would stick to a big “Allies” and “Axis” pool).
- Restricting models, weapons, gadgets or vehicles to certain theatres of war is now (of course) an option – feel free to speculate to which extent this is going to be the case.
- It is interesting that they’ve added the “Pacific” suffix to the US faction. Probably necessary because one “big” US faction for both Pacific and Europe would allow you to use all of their equipment in both theatres of war.
Battlefield 5 Firestorm Respawn Feature Being Worked On:
(Photoshopped example of what the respawn event message might look like)
The recent patch shows some significant signs in various files that DICE is working on a respawn system for the squad and duo (yeah I know…) version of Firestorm.
- It is connected to a public event (location) so you have to go there and capture it
- Players get a message on their screen that Respawn is available
- “Squad Spawn” sounds like you just spawn like in regular multiplayer (so no advanced stuff like getting back into the game via an additional airdrop)
Mercury: Combat Zone & Assets
I’ve read a lot of questions about the actual combat area of Mercury after posting the complete minimap a few days ago.
While I am not able to exactly track it down I think the named locations give you a pretty good idea where you will be engaging other players.
The image features roughly 85% of all location names (I skipped some roads for example and a few places overlap)
Mercury Game Modes:
- Squad Conquest
- Team Deathmatch
Mercury Map Assets
Ingame model of the DFS 230, a German transport glider operated by the Luftwaffe in World War II. It played a significant role in the Battle of Crete and will therefore be featured as a non-usable asset on Mercury.
Yes, there is an in-game model of a dolphin in the game files!
Grand Operation Greece
It is no surprise that we’ll get a new Grand Operation with the launch of the second greece map (“Marita”). Here is the structure:
- Day 1: Marita (Frontlines) -> usually we should expect Airborne here so maybe just a placeholder…
- Day 2: Marita (Breakthrough)
- Day 3: Mercury (Conquest)
- Day 4: Mercury (Final Stand)
Game Mode “Invasion”: A Grand Operation Alternative?
“All out warfare: Defend your resources and destroy the enemy resources. Destroy enemy resources while protecting your own. Eliminate enemy troops and resources to win.” (Ingame Description)
- Classified as an “Overall Gamemode” like Grand Operation
- 32v32 players and two rounds per map
- Airborne seems to be part of it (maybe round 1 / day 1)
- Second round / day features a conquest-breakthrough mix where you have to capture objectives and (after some time?) they’re permanently yours
- Seems to have a “carry over” mechanic (like Grand Operation) to get a bonus for round two if you do well in round 1
Temporyal is unsure whether this is a new game mode or something else. It’s coming in Chapter 5, and could be an alternative to Grand Operations.
New Squad Reinforcement
A new squad reinforcement is called “High Altitude Reconnaissance” and “Spots both Teams”. It’s probably a call-in airplane (non-usable) with a spotting camera flying over the target zone and it surely has some “recon plane” vibe which we’ll get for 5v5 mode.
Models of Unreleased Battlefield 5 Equipment
- Type 89 Knee Mortar
- TN-17 Radio Jammer
- Hawkins grenade
- Model SLd Flare Pistol
- The remote controlled Goliath Sd.kfz 303 (unfortunately with unfinished tracks)
That’s a lot of unconfirmed new stuff that could potentially be in Battlefield 5, no? In addition to that, we’ve posted about some of the new weapons coming to BF5 and their stats, and even some of the new weapon challenges too.