We’re diving deep into rumor territory here, folks! So prepre your popcorn. Having said that, there’s more in this Rocksteady new game report than your standard rumor, so it’s worth reporting on.
Rocksteady Studios, the developer behind the Batman Arkham franchise, has been silent on the games front ever since Batman: Arkham Knight was released back in 2015. Well, unless yo count Batman: Arkham VR which was less than a game but more of a tech demo for Sony’s PlayStation VR, and that was released in 2016. So what has the studio been up to all these years? Apparently, it’s a game based on the Justice League, and there’s a ton of rumored details about it that’s come to light.
According to a new anonymous post on 4chan, Rocksteady isn’t just working on a Justice League game, but that said title will come next year, and what’s more, it’s for the next-gen systems! Yep, you heard that right! Allegedly, this new Justice League game which is based on the “Crisis” DC storyline will be for the PS5 or Xbox Scarlett (codename of the successor to the Xbox One).
Thanks to Reddit user virgilhawkins17, we have the easier-to-digest info in bulletpoint form below!
- Possible titles – Justice League: Crisis, Justice League: New Crisis, Justice League: Infinite Crisis. Seems they haven’t settled on a title yet, but they have a new staple in Crisis. Kind of like how Arkham was to their Batman series.
- Developer – Rocksteady
- Systems – Xbox Scarlett/PS5/PC. You’ll hear more details on Xbox’s new system later this year with a full reveal early 2019. PS5 will be announced in early 2019 as well.
- Type – Single Player/Co-op. You can switch between characters like in Arkham Knight. The campaign can be played both ways, but there’s also a different game mode catered to multiplayer. Also, it’s GaaS, so expect a ton of DLC content. They’re gonna have something similar to Hitman with episodic DLC.
- Characters – Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash(Pretty sure it’s Wally), Green Lantern(Hal), Cyborg, Aquaman.
- Cities – Metropolis, Gotham, Keystone(why I said it’s probably Wally), more others through DLC. Each city is a bit bigger than AK, and just as detailed.
- Villains – Main big bad is Starro. As the episodic stuff rolls out you’ll see Brainiac and even Darkseid.
- Story – All the heroes are pretty early on in their careers. Batman’s still considered an urban legend to anyone outside of Gotham, Superman isn’t the “world protector” yet, and WW is still on Themyscira. Aquaman’s still in the sea, GL is in space, and Wally isn’t even a hero yet.
- Gameplay – From what I hear, it plays just like the Arkham games, except more refined and “opened up”. Guessing that’s for the heroes that can fly and such.
- DLC – A lot of the DLC will have new cities and new playable characters. Green Arrow, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter and probably a lot more. They’re expecting this game to last for years, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this game ended up being like Destiny in the sense that it gets updated constantly.
Got that? The tl;dr version is: Rocksteady is working on a Justice League game, which doesn’t have a title yet though it will have multiplayer. It will be a GaaS game (games as a service), will have episodic content, will have a slew of DLC, and is apparently set for release in 2019 for the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett.
So, how does this one have merit compared to the thousands of rumors floating about? First off, the rumor names Starro as the main villain, which, if you think about it is kind of lame given Starro is a giant starfish. You have most likely seen Starro in one of the DC storylines or in one of the animated movies that’s out there right now. Here’s what he/she/it looks like:
Rocksteady has been known to leave Easter eggs in their games that points to their next project. In Arkham Asylum, there was the secret room. In Arkham City, there was Scarecrow’s barge, and in Arkham Knight’s DLC :Batgirl: A Matter of Family,” there’s a hidden Starro Easter egg where you can even see Starro hidden in a gigantic test tube! Check the video.
Add in Rocksteady’s recent job hirings (multiplayer testers, network coders, specialized GaaS managers) and the fact that they were specifically hiring for “next gen” and for people with “broad comic book knowledge,” and it seems to fit somehow.
Another feather in this rumor cap? The domain justiceleaguecrisis.com is owned by Warner Bros., and was recently updated this year. Also of note, the Batman Arkham subreddit mods quietly took down the posts, which is weird since they usually file these posts under rumors/leaks and whatnot.
Sounds good to be true? Yeah, seems like it, no? We’ve reached out to Rocksteady Studios’ parent company Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and will update the story if and when we get a response.
In the meantime, speculate and weigh in on what you think of this latest rumor in the comments below.